Monday, February 8, 2010

Am I the reincarnation of Lucy Ricardo??

I don't think there is really anyone over the age of 30 who does not know "I Love Lucy." For those you young whipper snappers that don't, "I Love Lucy" was a great, if not the greatest sitcom of all time. Lucille Ball was the star along with her real life husband Desi Arnaz. Together they played Ricky and Lucy Ricardo a 1940's, New York couple. Ricky was a Big Band leader and Lucy was your atypical house wife with a penchant for ridiculous hilarity.

Now, I am not married to a HOT Cuban band leader (he is a HOT exCalifornian) but there ends the differences.
If you have something valuable that CAN NOT get broken, well when I walk by it will find its way into several pieces.

Let me give you the perfect "Lucy" scenario. Many years ago, my own personal "Ethel" and I were driving along when the car just stopped. After several tries to start it, Wendy (my Ethel) ran down the street to borrow her boyfriends car. Now our car was a junky, piece o junk VW bug. Kevin's car on the other hand, was a beautiful, nearly brand new Chevy Lemans. Together, we formulated the brainiac plan to push the Bug with the Lemans.

Can you see where this is headed? It does not really take a rocket scientist to figure out that this would not end pretty.

And it didn't.

It started out beautifully. Wendy was in the Lemans, seeing as it was her boyfriends car, it seemed fitting. I was in the Bug, and it was moving forward. We really only needed to move it about a block into a parking lot. We make it about 10, maybe 15 feet. There was sort of a thump and a grinding sound. Wendy put on the brake thinking that the Bug would roll forward.

Uh uh.

She popped it into reverse, and backed up. So did I.

But I wasn't in reverse.

I was still in drive.

More grinding and scraping. Metal on metal is not good at any time. We tried several more, unsuccessful maneuvers. But those cars were stuck

The spirits of Lucy and Ethel were very successful. We were good and stuck, minus the cameras and the laugh track. We did have an audience though. And they were laughing. All except Kevin.
Poor man. He was unaware of his "role" in our sitcom.

He did not get it that he was supposed to say some witty remark and get humorous but gentle revenge on us.

Instead, he chose to take the low road, and get pissy and ignorant over the Bug imprint on his front bumper.

Thank God he did not sue!!!

Now, when ever something insanely goofy, and outrageously unbelievable happens to me, I would swear I can hear the voice of Ricky Ricardo emanating from a tv signal decades past, "Luuucy" followed immediately by whisp of a breeze and the unmistakable scent of henna.

Well, I know Lucy has come calling.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice story, made me miss the series and remember something silly like that happening to me when I was a kid too!

    ReplyDelete