Sunday, March 20, 2011

My bathroom revamp

The bathrooms in my house are just bland. I want to give them a sprucing up with marble, rich fabrics, expensive hardware, and just plain glamour on a mac and cheese budget. Hmmmmm? What to do? I know! I will paper the crap out of it. No, no, not WALL paper, brown wrapping paper. So here is the before photo. 

Pretty bland, right? Standard contractor grade stuff. Enter an amazing idea that I got from here, who got the idea from there. It was soooo cool looking, I had to try it out. But I did not want to commit to the whole floor, so I attacked the counter top.   

I apologize for the dark appearance of the photo, but now that the counter is dark it is not reflecting as much light and I was much to lazy to go get the tripod to take the photo. 
The only difference I made to the tutorial instructions was to 
use "pecan" colored stain and poly all in one. I love the richness of the color. Oh and ignore the drips of poly in the sink, I will get that with some acetone later today.

I have applied 3 coats of polyurethane to it already and I discovered a little spot that is lifted, so today I am going to apply some poly and set a weight on it and give it another coat tonight before bed. 
Now on to the new decorative shower curtains. 
More bathroom revamp to come.
Tip Junkie handmade projects



2 comments:

  1. Looks great!!! Yeah I would say at least 6 coats should do it. Can't wait to see the whole re-do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you apply this directly over the laminate? Or did you have to remove it first? They look great!

    ReplyDelete